Maternal and Child Health
December 2017 - Safe Sleep for Baby
August 2017 - World Breastfeeding Week
- 12% of Montana WIC participants age 2-4 years are obese.
- Children never breastfed were most likely to be obese, but breastfeeding substantially for at least 6 months has a significant impact on obesity for children age 2-4 years. (need link)
- Most communities in Montana have excellent breastfeeding support systems such as breastfeeding peer counselors, certified lactation staff, WIC programs with prenatal and postpartum breastfeeding information and support. Even many of our birthing hospitals and centers have shown strong support for breastfeeding by achieving or working toward Baby-Friendly status.
April 2017 - Teen Pregnancy
- From 2010 to 2015, Montana teen birth rate declined from 35.2 per 1,000 to 25.3 per 1,000, but is still higher than the national average and much higher than most other industrialized countries.
- In 2015, 44% of high school students in Montana reported ever having had sex; 19% did not use an effective birth control method the last time they had sex.
- Teen pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections can be prevented through education and access to birth control methods including long acting reversible contraception.
March 2017 - Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs)
- Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) impact health and might affect one's well-being.
- Self-reported overall health and behavioral health declines as the number of ACEs increases, find your score.
- ACEs can be overcome. Those who have experienced an ACE can get assistance to build resilience and decrease the likelihood of adverse mental and physical health issues.
February 2017 - National Children's Dental Month
- Choose tap water over sugar sweetened beverages for a sparkling smile.
- Brushing teeth for two minutes, twice a day and regular dental check-ups are key for healthy teeth and gums.
- Fluoride helps make teeth stronger, which prevents decay.