Protect Montana Kids Initiative
On September 21, 2015, Governor Steve Bullock announced the Protect Montana Kids initiative to improve systems serving children and families in the state. The initiative will focus on immediate system improvements, system reviews, and statutory recommendations for the 2017 legislative session.
The initiative includes the creation of the Protect Montana Kids Commission. The purpose of the Commission is to advise the Governor on an evidenced-based, comprehensive set of recommendations to align the Montana Child Protection System with national standards and best practices in the field of child welfare.
The Protect Montana Kids Commission’s responsibilities shall be:
- To foster cooperation, communication and coordinated approaches to support improved outcomes in child abuse and neglect cases.
- To report to the Governor’s Office on the status of abused and neglected children and their families receiving services from the child protection system.
- To work toward establishing permanent funding for child protection system improvement priorities.
- To provide recommendations to the Governor by March 31, 2016 regarding:
- Changes in Montana child abuse and neglect statutes necessary to align them with best practices and scientific evidence regarding what is necessary to protect the best interests of children.
- Structural changes and enhancements to the system that may result in improved outcomes for children and families who are served by the child protection system and lead to a decrease in the number of children in Montana being abused or neglected.
- Increasing transparency in the child protection system.
- The need for additional resources in the different agencies engaged in the work of protecting children, such as the Child and Family Services Division, the County Attorney’s Office, the Office of the Public Defender, the Attorney General’s Office and the Judicial Branch.
2016 meeting materials
May 31, 2016 Protect Montana Kids - Final Report
May 17, 2016 Protect Montana Kids - Conference Call Meeting from 2:00pm to 5:00pm, Capitol Building, Room 172
April 25, 2016 Protect Montana Kids Commission Meeting, Capitol Building, Room 152
March 30, 2016 - Protect Montana Kids, Workplace Culture & Staff Recruitment & Retention Subcommittee Work Session - 9:00am to 3:00pm, Room 335, Capitol Building
March 16, 2016 Protect Montana Kids Commission Meeting, Capitol Building, Room 152,
March 11, 2016 Protect Montana Kids Statutory Subcommittee Meeting, Capitol Building, Room 422, 12:00pm to 1:00pm, Agenda to follow
February 18, 2016 Protect Montana Kids Commission Meeting
February 17, 2016 Protect Montana Kids Commission - Workplace Culture and Staff Recruitment and Retention Subcommittee
February 10, 2016 Protect Montana Kids Statutory Subcommittee Meeting
January 26, 2016, Protect Montana Kids Commission meeting, Room 152, Capitol Building
January 7, 2016 Workplace Culture and Staff Recruitment and Protection Subcommittee meeting
2015 meeting materials
December 29, 2015 Statutory Subcommittee meeting
December 4, 2015 meeting
Casey Foundation Documents:
Protect Montana Kids Commission Materials:
Department of Justice - Ombudsman Documents: