Nurturing Children, Supporting Communities,
Never leave a child alone in a car ...
Not Even For A Minute!
Left alone in a vehicle for even a short time, a child is in danger of heatstroke, dehydration, overheating, hyperthermia, injury, abduction and even death.
Temperatures in cars soar quickly. Even with a window cracked, the temperature inside a car can reach very dangerous temperatures within minutes. When left in a hot vehicle, a young child’s body temperature may increase three to five times as quickly as an adult. In these extreme conditions, children can die or suffer a permanent disability in a matter of minutes.
Believe it or not, routines and distractions have caused people to mistakenly leave children behind in cars. Below are further prevention tips.
- Make your child as visible as possible.
- Place your purse, briefcase, or whatever is to be carried from the car in the back seat with your child to serve as an additional reason to check that area.
- Set a reminder on your cell phone or computer to be sure you dropped your child off at day care.
- Ask your childcare provider to call you if your child hasn’t arrived as scheduled.
- Remember to use drive-through convenience provided by banks, restaurants, and other businesses.
- Pay at the pump at gas stations.
Prevent trunk entrapment and other accidents.
- Teach your children the dangers of a car and let them know that it is not a toy or playground.
- Always lock your car, even at home, and remind your friends and neighbors to do the same. Unlocked cars pose a risk to children who are naturally curious.
- Always put your keys in a safe and secure place out of children’s reach.
- Check pools, vehicles, and car trunks immediately when a child is missing.
If you see an unattended child in a car, dial 911 immediately and follow the instructions that emergency personnel provide.
If you would like to be involved in the Not Even for a Minute Campaign, contact Melissa Lavinder at MLavinder@mt.gov or 444-3002 to be sent posters and rack cards for your business or organization. English and Spanish versions are available.