Public Health Meaningful Use
Meaningful Use is defined as the use of certified electronic health record (EHR) technologies in a manner that moves a health provider towards improving patient care coordination, assisting the efforts of population/public health, and engaging patients and families while ensuring adequate privacy and security of personal health information. The Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act of 2009 provides financial incentives to encourage the use of EHRs.
For more information about meaningful use: http://www.cdc.gov/ehrmeaningfuluse/
The Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services (DPHHS) has the capability to receive electronic messages to help facilities meet Meaningful Use.
DPHHS is participating in the following Public Health objectives for Stage 2 meaningful use:
- Submit electronic data to the immunization registry for eligible professionals (EP) and hospitals (EH).
- Electronic Laboratory Reporting (ELR)
- Provide electronic submission of reportable laboratory results (ELR) for eligible hospitals (EH) only.
- Syndromic Surveillance
- Submission of Emergency Department (ED) visits
- EHs and Critical Access Hospitals (CAHs) with Emergency Departments may register
- EPs may register only if emergency care (like an EH Emergency Department) is provided
- Submission of other visit types (urgent care, inpatient, outpatient, etc)
- Montana DPHHS is not ready to accept date from these types of visits
- There are no plans to accept theses visits during the 2016 calendar year
- The Syndromic Surveillance Readiness Letter (PDF) describes the readiness of MT DPHHS to accept visits of these types. Download an keep a copy of this letter to document a possible MU exclusion.
- If you are unsure about whether your EP or CAH qualifies for an exclusion, you are encouraged to complete the Meaningful Use Registration (link below) to receive and individualized review of your clinic.
- Cancer Case Reporting
- Identify and report cancer cases electronically to the Montana Central Tumor Registry for eligible professionals.
Registration of Intent
To register your intent with DPHHS, please click on the link below:
DPHHS Public Health Meaningful Use Registration
For more information, please e-mail PublicHealth@mt.gov.