COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Updates

With the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, The Child Support Services Division realizes the impact this is likely to have on case participants.  We know that for some of you, the need for financial support for your children will continue or increase. Paying parents may be experiencing the financial hardship of lost wages and worrying about the penalties for missed payments.

Communication Options: 
  • Email: You can email your caseworker directly, the CSSD Regional Office Contact Information contains caseworker contact information. 
  • Phone: You can call your caseworker directly, the CSSD Regional Office Contact Information contains caseworker contact information. 
  • Automated Phone Line: call the Interactive Voice Response Unit at (406) 444-9855 or at 1-800-346-5437 to connect you directly to your caseworker.


December 27, 2020:

The Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2021, which was signed into law on December 27, 2020, authorizes a second round of Economic Impact Payments to eligible individuals. The second round of Economic Impact Payments are not subject to intercept for past-due child support. For more information please visit Treasury Offset Program - TOP Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for the Public on COVID-19.

April 21, 2020:

The IRS unveiled the Get My Payment online application. The application will allow people to check the status of their economic impact payment and update their direct deposit information. The application is available at https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment.

April 20, 2020:

The IRS prepared a frequently asked questions (FAQ) page to address the collection of federal non-tax and state debts with the stimulus payment. This would include collection of past-due child support. Please visit https://fiscal.treasury.gov/top/faqs-for-the-public-covid-19.html.

April 14, 2020:

On March 27, 2020, the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act (the “Act”) became law. The Act provides qualifying individuals with a recovery rebate payment (also referred to as “stimulus payments”) of up to $1,200 (or $2,400 if married and filing jointly), plus up to $500 for each qualifying child. The payments made to parents who owe past-due child support and who are subject to intercept under the Federal Income Tax Refund Offset Program will be offset. Therefore, if a person owes more than $150 in a public assistance case or more than $500 in a non-public assistance child support case, the law requires that the stimulus payment be intercepted up to the total amount of child support owed.

For additional information about the stimulus payments visit the IRS website at  https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

Frequently asked Questions

Live Accordion

I owe delinquent debt. Will my economic impact payment be offset?

The economic impact payments can be offset through the Treasury Offset Program (TOP) only to collect delinquent child support obligations that have been referred by the state to TOP.

How much of my payment can be offset to satisfy my delinquent child support debt?

Your entire economic impact payment can be offset, up to the amount of your child support debt.

What if I am not the responsible party that owed the delinquent child support debt?

If you are married filing jointly and you filed an injured spouse claim with your 2019 tax return (or 2018 tax return if you haven’t filed your 2019 tax return), half of the total stimulus payment will be sent to each spouse and your spouse’s stimulus payment will be offset only for past-due child support. There is no need to file another injured spouse claim. If you did not file an injured spouse claim and need to, please visit the IRS website at https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-8379 to file your claim.

I do not know if I have delinquent child support debt. Who can I call to check?

If you have questions regarding whether you owe a child support debt that has been referred to TOP, you can call the TOP Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system at 800-304-3107.

Are there any exceptions for financial hardship?

No. The CARES Act did not grant states any discretion to reduce or eliminate offsets due to hardship.What if I have additional questions about the economic impact payments? Am I eligible?

What if I don’t file a tax return? How will I get the payment?

These questions, and others, can be answered by visiting the IRS website at https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

March 19, 2020:

To limit contact during the COVID-19 virus emergency, all child support offices in the state have been temporarily closed to the public.

Child Support Payments will continue to be processed and disbursed during this time.

  • To make a payment:
    • Use the online payment system at https://app.mt.gov/csp.   It is a quick, easy, and secure way to pay child support. If you are unfamiliar with this service, the demo button at the bottom left guides you through the process.  Call if you have questions. 
    • Send checks or money orders to: Montana CSSD PO Box 8001 Helena, MT59604
    • By phone with your credit or debit card call the office were your case is located or dial 406-444-1817. CSSD Staff will walk you through the process.
  • To look up the status of your payment:
    • Access the on-line payment lookup site at https://app.mt.gov/csp or  
    • Call Interactive Voice Response Unit at 1-800-346-5437 or (406) 444-9855.

Customer Service. Contact your caseworker by email or phone directly. Most case specific questions can be answered by email and sensitive case information will be answered by phone. The office links below will provide your caseworker’s email address and direct phone number. You can use your CSSD case number and/or your social security number and date of birth when calling the Interactive Voice Response Unit at (406) 444-9855 or at 1-800-346-5437 to connect you directly to your caseworker.

Child Support Offices: