Home » Child Support Enforcement Division » Guide To Services » Reserve and National Guard Information

Reserve and National Guard Information

Attention Reserve and National Guard Soldiers

Montana's Child Support Enforcement Division (CSED) realizes that under Operation Enduring Freedom many of you may be called to active duty, both at home and abroad. First and foremost, we join those who thank you for your service to our country.

You may be involved with the CSED as a Non Custodial Parent who is ordered to pay support for your child(ren), or you may be a Custodial Parent who receives child support on behalf of a child, pursuant to a support order. It is the CSED's intent to inform you of the Division's policies that address child support issues that may be if importance to you, including modifications, medical support enforcement, and passport requests.

If you have been called to active duty, please notify the CSED to report your change in address and your employment status. This is especially important for Non Custodial Parents so that the CSED may reissue an income withholding order to your military employer to insure continued child support payments.

If you have experienced a change in your income as a result of being called to active duty, you may be eligible for a modification of your support order. Contact your local CSED office to obtain a Request for Review form.

Medical Support
If you are ordered to provide health care coverage for your child(ren) and have not done so, the CSED will ask the military to enroll the child(ren) in the appropriate health care plan.

Passport Requests
If you owe $5,000 or more past-due support, your request for a passport will be denied by the Department of Defense until you make arrangements with the CSED to satisfy the child support arrearage you owe.

A Special Note To Employers of Military Reservists and National Guard

Many of your employees may be called to active military duty in the coming weeks. If the reservist or National Guard soldier pays child support through an income withholding order from the Montana Child Support Enforcement (CSED), contact the Child Support Enforcement Division's Regional Office that issued the income withholding order and inform the Division that your employee has been called to active duty; please provide the date your employee was activated. The CSED will issue a new income withholding order to the military service branch. By providing this information, you are helping your employee avoid lapses in payment to his or her children while serving our country.