Eligible facilities must agree to operate their meal services with the following requirements:
- Offer a wide variety of nutritious foods.
- Use fresh foods and locally grown foods when possible.
- Develop menus and recipes that include cultural considerations.
- Serve meals that follow USDA Dietary Guidelines.
- Serve meals family style.
- Support breastfeeding or use of breast milk for infant feeding, or serve iron-fortified infant formula.
- Serve milk with all meals for children age one and above.
- Serve meals to:
- Children age 12 and under
- Migrant children age 15 and younger
- Youths through age 18 in afterschool programs in needy areas
- Adults who are 60 or older, or who are physically or mentally impaired to the extent that limits their independence and ability to carry out activities of daily living
USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer