Montana Medical Marijuana Program

Cardholder FAQ

How do I get a card?

How long does it take to get a card?

Applications are processed in the date order received.  The processing time between when an application is received and when a card is mailed out is determined by the number of applications received.  Once all completed application material is received, cards will be printed and mailed.  An individual is not considered a valid cardholder until the Montana Marijuana Program card is in their possession. For faster turnaround on your application, it is recommended to pay by ACH or Credit Card. 

How long is my card valid?

Registered cardholder’s cards expire on the expiration date printed on the card.  Cards are valid for one year unless a shorter time period is specified by the doctor on the physician statement form.  Cardholders must carry their registry card with them at all times, along with a picture ID.

I am not a Montana resident; can I get a card?

No. Individuals must be a Montana resident to apply to be a registered cardholder or a provider. The application requires a copy of the applicant’s valid Montana driver’s license or Montana State issued ID card.

How do I get a provider?

The department cannot recommend a provider.  A list of all licensed providers is available on the Montana Medical Marijuana home page.

How much medical marijuana can I possess?

Registered cardholders may possess the following:

  • one (1) ounce of marijuana flower OR
  • eight (8) grams of marijuana concentrate OR
  • 800 mg of THC in marijuana infused products or edibles OR
  • Sixteen (16) .5 ml vape cartridges OR
  • Eight (8) 1 ml vape cartridges

one (1) ounce of marijuana flower = eighty (80) ten-milligram servings, or 800mg of THC in marijuana products or edibles = eight (8) grams of concentrate = eight (8) ml of vape cartridges


If you purchase ½ ounce of flower, you would also be able to purchase four (4) grams of marijuana concentrate OR 400 mg of infused products or edibles OR four (4) 1 ml vape cartridges OR eight (8) .5 ml vape cartridges

How many plants can I have if I’m on the Montana Marijuana Registry?

Montana Code Annotated 2017



Part 3. Montana Medical Marijuana Act

Legal Protections -- Allowable Amounts

50-46-319. (Subsections (1)(b)(i), (1)(b)(ii), and (1)(c) effective April 30, 2018, or on occurrence of contingency, whichever is earlier) Legal protections -- allowable amounts. (1) (a) A registered cardholder who has named a provider may possess up to 1 ounce of usable marijuana.

(b) (i) A registered cardholder who has not named a provider may possess up to 4 mature plants, 4 seedlings, and the amount of usable marijuana allowed by the department by rule.

If I grow my own marijuana, do I need to have a background check? Will my name be on a list given to law enforcement?

No. If registered cardholders are growing marijuana for their use only, they do not need to have a background check, or register as a provider. Registered cardholder names will not be on a list given to law enforcement. Law enforcement can call the department to verify that individuals are registered cardholders or providers.

Can my minor child be on the registry?

Yes, if all the following requirements are fulfilled:

  • A parent or legal guardian of a minor child may apply for the minor child to be on the registry
    • If growing marijuana for the minor, the parent or legal being needs to register and be approved as a Marijuana Infused Products Provider (MIPP) OR name a provider on behalf of the minor
  • A completed Physician Statement for Minors is approved and signed by two doctors

I am under the supervision of the Department of Corrections (or a youth court), can I be on the Marijuana Program?

No, individuals under the supervision of the Department of corrections or a youth court are not eligible to be on the Montana Marijuana Program.

If I have a card and get convicted of a crime what happens?

The registry card can be revoked.

Can I still have a card if I am convicted of a DUI?

If a cardholder’s driver’s license is revoked for DUI, the registered cardholder and/or provider’s marijuana card must be surrendered and will not be reissued until the DUI revocation period has ended.

Can a temporary driver’s license be used when submitting application materials?

Yes, a temporary driver’s license can be used for identification.

I live in a rented house. Can I grow my own marijuana here?

Any cardholder or provider applicant must submit a signed and notarized Landlord Permission Form with their application materials if marijuana is to be cultivated and/or manufactured at a rental or leased property.

What if I can’t submit my application online?

If you cannot submit your application online, please contact the department or ask your provider for assistance.

Can I submit an expired ID?

No. If you are unable to obtain a current ID, contact the department to see if you are eligible for a hardship waiver.

Who do I contact for questions regarding my application?

For questions regarding the application process, contact program support