Montana Medical Marijuana Program
Providers and Dispensaries must have valid licenses displayed in their place of business that is easily identifiable. Employees (Agents) must have their employee badge on them at all times during working hours.
|Dispensary License - One Location
|Dispensary License - Two or Three Locations
|Dispensary License - Four or Five Locations
|Dispensary License - Six or More Locations
Note: Each licensed provider/MIPP must apply for a dispensary license.
- Payment must be made online by Credit/Debit Card, ACH, or mail in a check or money order. Mailed in payments will be processed upon receipt and may delay an application. No cash is allowed. Do NOT send cash.
- Only one payment per application type will be accepted.
- Each application must have its own individual payment.
- All fees are for the application processing and will not be refunded if the application is incomplete, denied or the card is revoked.
Dispensary Application Requirements
- In order to apply for a dispensary license you must first apply for a Canopy License to become a Provider and/or MIPP. Applications for Canopy and Dispensaries can be processed concurrently.
- Once you have been approved for your business license, METRC Level 1 Training must be completed.
- To enroll or verify if training is complete, contact METRC Support, (877) 566-6506
- All dispensary applicants will apply online via Complia’s Industry Portal
- The following is required to submit an application for a dispensary license
- Persons of interest (anyone with an ownership interest) must submit fingerprints and have their background check complete before an application can be processed.
- How to get fingerprints rolled and background check completed.
- Signed Applicant Rights and Consent to Fingerprint for each person of interest. If you have been approved for your provider license you may use the same fingerprints if done within 1 year to add an MIPP (Chemical Manufacturing Endorsement) or Dispensary License. During the application process, indicate your provider license number on the general information tab when prompted. You will still upload consent to fingerprint documents and sign the Request to Waive Fingerprints portion at the bottom of the form. The department will verify your provider license and last fingerprint results on file.
- Copy of MT Driver’s License, MT State ID, Tribal ID, or Passport for each person of interest. If submitting a passport, include a proof of residency document for each passport. Acceptable proof of residency documents include a utility bill or lease agreement. Please contact the Montana Medical Marijuana Program for additional guidance.
- If renting or leasing the property where you are dispensing marijuana, you must include a notarized Property Owner Permission Form.
- Register for an employee badge (all employees must register as well)
- Dispensary applications will be processed in the order received.
- An email notification will be sent upon receipt of application. After review, an email indicating approval, rejection, or denial will be sent. Further instructions will be included if applicable.
- If your application was rejected, follow the Application Rejection Process to remediate the outstanding issues and resubmit your application.
- When an application is approved, an email notification will be sent with instructions on how to get credentialed into METRC’s tracking system. Access to METRC is not available until a business license application has been approved.
- Submit Renewal applications 45 days before expiration date to allow for processing. Renewal notifications will be emailed 45 days before license(s) expire.
- Contact Montana Medical Marijuana Program (406) 444-0596 for questions regarding the application process.
- Changes to employees or cardholders are managed through METRC
- These changes must be submitted to the department within 10 days to avoid being revoked from the registry:
- Personal information
- Change in ownership
- Request to be removed from registry