Swimming Pools, Spas and other Water Features
Montana Administrative Rules
ARM 37.115.106 has been amended to adopt Circular FCS 3-2020, the International Swimming Pool and Spa Code 2018, and ANSI/APSP/ICC-7, effective May 16, 2020. Please use the following documents as resources for planning and operating your public facility.
- Circular FCS 3-2020
- International Swimming Pool and Spa Code (2018)
- Circular FCS 1-2016, Non-public Water Supplies
Montana Code Annotated
New construction and remodels must be reviewed by both DPHHS and Department of Labor and Industry Building Codes (DLI). Please refer to the following DLI website to find contact information for the appropriate building codes official, Certified City, County, and Town Programs. Contact the State Building Codes Bureau for projects being built in a jurisdiction that is not certified for swimming pools.
- Plan Review Checklist for Pools, Spas, and other Water Features (PDF) (NEW 02/22/2021)
(Incomplete applications will not be accepted)
- Pool Plan Review Fee Calculator (Excel)
- Online payments for Pool/Spa Plan Review
- Submit electronic PDF plans and calculations via the state file transfer service
Certified Pool Operator (CPO) Class
CDC Fecal Incident Response
- CDC Fecal Incident Response - What do you do when you find poop in the water?
- Water Contamination Response Log
Chlorine Institute Pamphlets
- Pamphlet 1 - Chlorine Basics
- Pamphlet 65 - Personal Protective Equipment for Chlor-Alkali Chemicals
- Pamphlet 82 - Recommendations for Using 100 & 150 Pound Chlorine Cylinders at Swimming Pools
- North American Float Tank Standard
- NSF International Component Certification Specification (CCS-12804)
- Water Chemistry Log
- Staffing Plans and Zones of Patron Surveillance
- Best Practices for "Dog Swim Days"
- Cyanuric Acid fact sheet
- Non-Hygienic Behavior at Splash Parks
- Diaper Changing Posters
- How Swimmers Affect Water Clarity
- Water Illness General
- Water Illness Office
Other Helpful Information
Do you have a concern about a licensed public facility such as a restaurant, hotel, trailer court, tattoo artist, or swimming pool? Did you witness a violation of local or state COVID regulations?