State of Montana
SNAP Program Overview

Who Is Eligible To Participate In The Program?

*Please Read This Before You Apply For SNAP Benefits.

  • People who live together and buy food and prepare meals together are grouped as a “household” for SNAP. Husbands and wives, and children under age 22 living with their natural, adoptive or stepparents must be considered as one household.
  • Household members that wish to be included must be U.S. citizens or legal aliens.
  • Household members that wish to be included must furnish or apply for a social security number.
  • Income and resource guidelines listed in this overview must be met.
  • Able-bodied household members who are age 16 through 59 must register for work, and may be required to participate in a SNAP Employment and Training Program unless a specified exemption is met.

Where Do Households Go To Apply For SNAP Benefits?

  1. Apply online at
  2. Call the Public Assistance Helpline-1-888-706-1535
  3. Visit your local Office of Public Assistance
  4. Email for a PDF application

Expedited Services

The intent of expedited services is to make food benefits available within seven calendar days of the application date to eligible households who meet the following criteria:

  • Households with less than $150 in monthly gross income and  $100 or less in liquid resources; or
  • Migrant or seasonal farm worker households with $100 or less in liquid resources; OR
  • Households with a combined monthly gross income and liquid resources less than the household’s monthly rent (or mortgage) and utilities.

Financial Criteria

  • Income
    Households who meet the gross and net income standards listed below may participate in SNAP. Households who meet the gross monthly income standard are then evaluated for the net monthly income standard after allowable deductions have been taken into consideration.


October 1, 2023 through September 30, 2024

Households that meet Expanded Categorical Eligibility Criteria

People in Household Gross Monthly Income Standard Net Monthly Income Standard
1 $2,430 $1,215
2 $3,288 $1,644
3 $4,144 $2,072
4 $5,000 $2,500
5 $5,858 $2,929
6 $6,714 $3,357
7 $7,570 $3,785
8 $8,428 $4,214
Each Additional Member + $858 + $429

All Other Households

People in Household Gross Monthly Income Standard Net Monthly Income Standard
1 $1,580 $1,215
2 $2,137 $1,644
3 $2,694 $2,072
4 $3,250 $2,500
5 $3,807 $2,929
6 $4,364 $3,357
7 $4,921 $3,785
8 $5,478 $4,214
Each Additional Member  + $557 + $429

  • Resources
    • Resources of individuals that meet the Expanded Categorical Eligibility criteria are excluded. If all members of your household meet Expanded Categorical Eligibility criteria all household resources are excluded.
    • If the household does not meet Expanded Categorical Eligibility criteria, countable household resources cannot exceed:
      • $4,250 for households that include a member age 60 or over, or include a disabled household member, and
      • $2,750 for all other households.
    • The home you live in, vehicles, tax-preferred educational and retirement accounts, and combat-related military pay are excluded as resources.
    • Households in which all  household members are receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) cash assistance, tribal TANF cash assistance, or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) are not  subject to a resource limit. 
  • Deductions
    Allowable deductions for SNAP are listed below. The following deductions can be subtracted from countable income when determining a household’s SNAP benefits:
    • Twenty percent (20%) of the total gross earned income for each household;
    • A standard deduction of the net income limit based on the household size;
    • Certain dependent-care costs;
    • Legally owed and paid child support;
    • A percentage of shelter costs; and
    • A medical expense deduction can be allowed for the portion of non-reimbursable medical expenses that exceed $35 per month per household. This deduction is allowed for elderly and disabled household members.

Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT)

  • The State of Montana has implemented an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) System for the delivery of SNAP benefits. The EBT System eliminated paper food stamp coupons. Instead, SNAP participants are issued a debit card (called the Montana Access Card) for purchasing food products.
  • All Montana EBT participants have access to a help desk hotline (1-866-850-1556). This interactive voice response system provides functions such as PIN selection, balance inquiry, and review of the last 10 transactions, as well as help with EBT system problems.
  • SNAP benefits are electronically transferred to an account linked to the participant’s debit card. Participants use the debit card, along with their personal identification number (PIN), to purchase food using an online system similar to commercial point of sale (POS) services.

Farmers Market

EBT debit cards can be used to buy fresh produce at participating Farmers Markets.

SNAP Nutrition Education and Obesity Prevention Program (SNAP ED)

SNAP Nutrition Education and Obesity Prevention Program goals are to assist SNAP eligible participants in making healthy food choices within a limited budget and adding more physical active throughout their day consistent with the current Dietary Guidelines for Americans. Montana’s SNAP-Ed program is managed by a contract with Montana State University Extension.

Montana State University Extension provides SNAP-Ed classes to youth and adults. Youth classes are provided to 1 st, 3 rd, and 5 th  grades during the school year. Adult classes are taught in a series of eight classes. SNAP-Ed Adult participants may be single or a family; households must be eligible for SNAP benefits. MSU Extension’s SNAP-Ed program website Buy Eat Live Better  can help you with:

  • Finding classes
  • Practical tips and ideas for healthy eating
  • Easy, healthy and budget stretching recipes
  • Ideas for adding more physical activity into your busy day
  • Planning meals to save time and money

MSU Extension SNAP-Ed program is also on Facebook and Pinterest for more information: Buy Eat Live Better - Facebook  and Buy Eat Live - Pinterest

For more information you may also contact your local Office of Public Assistance (OPA) at 888-706-1535

SNAP Employment and Training Program (SNAP E&T)

The SNAP Employment and Training (SNAP E&T) program is funded by a grant with US Department of Agriculture (USDA), Food and Nutrition Services (FNS).  The SNAP E&T program only assists SNAP recipients and focuses on Able Bodied Adults without Dependents (ABAWDS). (If slots are available other SNAP recipients may participate in SNAP E&T.) SNAP E&T assists participants in discovering, reaching and maintaining their employment goals.  Depending on the availability of funds SNAP E&T funds may be used to support a variety of education, training, and employment related supportive services for SNAP E&T participants. If you reside in Yellowstone, Missoula, or Lewis & Clark counties and are interested in participating in the SNAP E&T program, contact the Montana Public Assistance Helpline at 1-888-706-1535 or your local Office of Public Assistance for a referral.

Additional Resources

TANF Information and Referral Services

Non-Discrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State of local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form , (AD-3027) found here at USDA, or at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form.  To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1)   Mail:
               U.S. Department of Agriculture
               Office of the Assistance Secretary for Civil Rights
               1400 Independence Avenue, SW
               Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2)     Fax:        (202) 690-7442; or

(3)     Email:    Program Intake.

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.