COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Updates
The Child Support Services Division realizes the impact the COVID-19 Pandemic is likely to have on case participants. We know that for some of you, the need for financial support for your children will continue or increase. Paying parents may be experiencing the financial hardship of lost wages and worrying about the penalties for missed payments.
- Email: You can email your caseworker directly, the CSSD Regional Office Contact Information contains caseworker contact information.
- Phone: You can call your caseworker directly, the CSSD Regional Office Contact Information contains caseworker contact information.
- Automated Phone Line: call the Interactive Voice Response Unit at (406) 444-9855 or at 1-800-346-5437 to connect you directly to your caseworker.
March 17, 2021
The American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, authorized a third Economic Impact Payment (EIP) to eligible individuals. The third Economic Impact Payment is not subject to offset for child support debt, when paid as an advance. If the EIP is included in a tax refund payment, it is subject to offset. For more information please visit Treasury Offset Program - TOP Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for the Public on COVID-19.
December 27, 2020:
The Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2021 authorizes another round of Economic Impact Payments (EIP). This round of payments are not subject to offset for child support debt, when paid as an advance. If the payment is included in a tax refund payment, it is subject to offset. For more information please visit Treasury Offset Program - TOP Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for the Public on COVID-19.
April 21, 2020:
The IRS unveiled the Get My Payment online application. The application will allow people to check the status of their economic impact payment and update their direct deposit information. The application is available at https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment.
April 20, 2020:
The IRS has a frequently asked questions (FAQ) page on the collection of debts with the stimulus payment. This would include collection of child support debt. https://fiscal.treasury.gov/top/faqs-for-the-public-covid-19.html.
April 14, 2020:
On March 27, 2020, the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act (the “Act”) became law. The Act provides qualifying individuals with a payment of up to $1,200, plus up to $500 for each qualifying child. The payments made to parents who owe child support debt will be offset under the Federal Income Tax Refund Offset Program (TOP).
For additional information about the stimulus payments visit the IRS website at https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center.
Frequently Asked Questions
March 19, 2020:
To limit contact during the COVID-19 Pandemic, all child support offices have been temporarily closed to the public.
Child Support Payments will continue to be processed and disbursed during this time.
- To make a payment:
- Use the online payment system at https://app.mt.gov/csp. It is a quick, easy, and secure way to pay child support. If you are unfamiliar with this service, the demo button at the bottom left guides you through the process. Call if you have questions.
- Send checks or money orders to: Montana CSSD PO Box 8001 Helena, MT59604
- By phone with your credit or debit card call the office were your case is located or dial 406-444-1817. CSSD Staff will walk you through the process.
- To look up the status of your payment:
- Access the on-line payment lookup site at https://app.mt.gov/csp or
- Call Interactive Voice Response Unit at 1-800-346-5437 or (406) 444-9855.
Customer Service. Contact your caseworker by email or phone directly. Most case specific questions can be answered by email and sensitive case information will be answered by phone. The office links below will provide your caseworker’s email address and direct phone number.
- Services We Provide
- Employer Resource Center
- Administrative Rules of Montana
- Motor Vehicle Liens
- Administrative Complaint Procedure
- Links to Related Agencies
- About CSSD
- Contact Us
- CSSD Careers