Reserve and National Guard Soldiers

The Montana Child Support Enforcement Services (CSSD) realizes that many of you may be called to active duty at anytime. First and foremost, we thank you for your service to our country.

When called for active duty, parents will be taken from their civilian careers both at home and abroad. For some, being called to active duty can mean a reduction of total monthly income. Those reservists paying child support payments based on higher monthly income may find that child support arrears will begin to accumulate when monthly obligations are not met. Additionally, custodial parents who are activated may also be affected in their ability to meet their children's needs. 

Please be aware of the following:

  • If you have been called to active duty, please notify the CSSD to report your change in address and your employment status. The CSSD will use that information to issue an income withholding order to your military employer.
  • If you experience a change in your income as a result of being called to active duty, you may be eligible for a modification of your support order. Contact your local CSSD office to obtain a Request for Review form.
  • If you are ordered to provide health care coverage for your child(ren) and have not done so, please enroll the child(ren) in the appropriate health care plan.
  • If you owe $5,000 or more in past-due support, you will be denied a passport until you make arrangements to satisfy your past-due support.