Never leave a child alone in a car ...
Not Even For A Minute!
Left alone in a car for even a short time, a child is in danger of heatstroke, dehydration, overheating, hyperthermia, injury, abduction and even death.
Temperatures in cars soar quickly. Even with a window cracked, the temperature inside a car can reach very dangerous temperatures within minutes. When left in a hot vehicle, a young child’s body temperature may increase three to five times as quickly as an adult. In these extreme conditions, children can die or suffer a permanent disability in a matter of minutes.
Believe it or not, routines and distractions have caused people to leave children behind in cars. Below are tips to help prevent this.
- Make your child as visible as possible.
- Place your purse, briefcase, etc. in the back seat with your child to serve as another reason to check that area.
- Set a reminder on your cell phone or computer to be sure you dropped your child off at day care.
- Ask your childcare provider to call you if your child has not arrived as scheduled.
- Use the drive-through provided by banks, restaurants, and other businesses.
- Pay at the pump at gas stations.
More car safety tips:
- Teach your children the dangers of a car and let them know that it is not a toy or playground.
- Always lock your car, even at home, and remind your friends and neighbors to do the same. Unlocked cars pose a risk to children who are curious.
- Always put your keys in a safe and secure place out of children’s reach.
- Check pools, cars, and trunks right away when a child is missing.
If you see an child without an adult in a car, dial 911 right away and follow the instructions that emergency personnel provide.
Download our Not Even for a Minute poster or rack card to share with parents and caregivers about the dangers of leaving a child in a car. You can also download a Spanish version of the poster and rack card.
Contact Melissa Lavinder at MLavinder@mt.gov or 444-3002 for posters and rack cards for your business or organization. English and Spanish versions are available.